All You Must Know About Getting Canadian Citizenship – If you are looking on how to become a Canadian citizen, then this is your time as the Canadian borders are open and are always ready to welcome you into the country. But that is not the sweet part.
READ ALSO: How to Get the Best Caregiver Jobs in Canada
The sweet part is that the Canadian government is looking to invite and welcome over 1.23million immigrants to the country from 2021 to 2023 to help in economic growth and development of the country. So you see that there is an opportunity for you to move to Canada and also if you want to get Canadian citizenship.
Many people who even move to Canada maybe on a temporary basis might decide to get Canadian citizenship and this is because Canada offers you a great deal of opportunities and better quality of life.Related Articles
It is no surprise if you have a lot of questions on your mind but this is why we are here and have compiled this article for you. We are going to do well to answer most of the questions you might have on your mind and show you ways you can actually move to Canada and get Canadian citizenship easily and start enjoying the Canadian lifestyle.
Without much talk, let’s proceed to answering some frequently asked questions about getting Canadian citizenship.
Frequently Questions On Getting Canadian Citizenship
- Is it easy to get Canadian citizenship?
The answer to this question is yes. But it can be difficult if you don’t follow the right process or do it alone. Canada is one of the easiest countries to immigrate to that is why it is experiencing an influx of foreigners in recent years.Advertisements
Also, it is one of the easiest countries to settle in as it is a welcoming and loving country. So saying it is easy to get Canadian citizenship won’t be a wrong answer. But you should know that you will have to stay in Canada for at least 3-5 years to naturalize in Canada.
This doesn’t mean that you can’t leave Canada but you will have to stay in Canada and have record of your stay in Canada for this required number of years. You must make sure you pay and file your taxes so as to get a record of your stay in Canada.
- How long does it take to get Canadian citizenship?
The thing is getting a Canadian citizenship doesn’t take too long and like we have said, it is one of the easiest countries to get citizenship or naturalize in as it could take a short as 12months to process and with the pandemic still affecting Canadian citizenship application process, it could take longer than that but should not exceed 15months.
In some cases, you can get your Canadian citizenship certificate in a shorter time and if you want to qualify for this, you will have to:
- Apply for a job in Canada
- Attend a Canadian school, college or university
- Get a successful appeal from a Federal Court
- How do I qualify to get Canadian citizenship?
There are some requirements you will have to meet for you to get Canadian citizenship and we will be looking at them shortly. They are:
- You must have lived in Canada as a permanent resident for at 3 to 5years
- You must passed the citizenship test
- You must have proof of language proficiency in either French or English
- You must have filed taxes (if needed)
- How do I apply for Canadian citizenship?
For you to apply for any application process especially a citizenship application, you will have to be sure that you qualify for citizenship and meet all the requirements to become a citizen of Canada.
After this, you will have to pay for your application fees which can be done online before you can submit your application. But before you submit your application, you will have to:
- Be eligible for Canadian citizenship the day before you sign your application
- Date any form the day before you sign it
- Sign the application form
Your application must be dated 90days before it is received especially if you are sending your application by courier or by mail or else it will be returned.
- Can I apply for Canadian citizenship online?
Of course you can. This is actually a better way to apply for visa or permit as the processing time will be shorter and quicker although it is not all applicants that are eligible to apply online.
For you to be able to apply online, you will have to:
- Have a valid email address
- Be at least 18years old
- Be eligible for Canadian citizenship
- Apply for yourself only (family members will have to apply for themselves)
- Not include time spent outside Canada in your physical presence calculation
- Is Canadian citizenship the same as permanent residence?
These two are quite different but for you to become a Canadian citizen, you will have to become a permanent resident in Canada. Permanent residents in Canada can apply for citizenship in Canada once they meet the requirements. Though as a permanent resident in Canada, you are entitled to most of the things Canadian citizens enjoy but one thing you might not be able to do is vote or run for office in Canada and they do not get a Canadian passport.
A permanent residence of Canada is a citizen of another country that lives and works in Canada so you will have to get Canadian citizenship to become a Canadian citizen.
- What is the pass score for the Canadian citizenship test?
The test is made up of about twenty question and they are true or false questions that shouldn’t take you more than 30minutes to complete. The questions are gotten from about 200 random Canadian citizenship questions. For you to pass the test, you will have to get at least 15-20 questions right or get about 75 to 80 percent.
We will be looking at the likely questions you may be asked below. You may be asked about:
- The Canadian history
- The Canadian symbols and the meaning
- The Canadian politics
- The rights and duties of a Canadian citizen
- About the province or territory you live in
If you are successful in the test, you will be invited to attend a ceremony in about six months.
Let’s look at what you should bring to the test.
- “Notice to Appear” a notice asking you to take the test
- Two pieces of personal identification (ID) (driver’s license or health card)
- Permanent resident card
- All your passports and travel documents, current and expired that you listed on the application form
- Foreign ID documents must be issued by the government and if not in English, it must be translated by a translator with an affidavit.
- A certificate, diploma, degree or transcript that proves your English or French language skills
You will also need some other documents that may be asked of in your “Notice to Appear”.
- What if I fail the Canadian citizenship test?
Failing the Canadian citizenship test is not the end of your ambition to become a Canadian citizen. There is still another chance for you as you can reschedule and retake the test four to eight weeks later.
Another thing is that if you fail again, you may be asked to have an interview with a citizenship official and this could take about 30 to 90 minutes and you could either do this in person or by videoconference.
- Can my age affect my Canadian citizenship application?
Yes!! Your age can actually affect your application process and also determine if you will need to have an interview or not. Let’s show you a description below:
|Age & Your Citizenship Application|
|Your Age and Situation||Take the Test||Go to the interview|
|Adult 18 to 54 years of age||Yes||Yes|
|Adult 55 and over||No||Yes|
|Minor under 18 with a Canadian parent or a parent applying at the same time||No||No, except in some cases|
|Minor 14 to 17 without a Canadian parent or a parent applying at the same time||No||Yes|
|Minor under 14 without a Canadian parent or a parent applying at the same time||No||No, except in some cases|
- Can you be denied Canadian citizenship?
This will happen if you fail the test twice and also the interview with the citizenship official. You might be allowed to apply and retake the test.
Like we said earlier that Canada is a wonderful country and becoming a Canadian citizen is a great experience that offers you a lot of benefits. From the answers we have given to the frequently asked questions, we are sure to have cleared every confusion you might have had about getting Canadian citizenship.
You should make sure that you are eligible to apply for citizenship and also know if you are eligible to apply online and like we said in the article, not everyone is eligible to apply online but anyone can become a Canadian citizen if you meet the requirements.
Also make sure that all your documents that are needed are available and do well to complete your application fully before submitting.
Don’t let this opportunity pass you by and be among the immigrants that will be welcomed in to Canada from 2021 to 2023 so you can move towards becoming a permanent residence and then a Canadian citizen.