In this article, we will be analyzing the chances and best route for foreign nationals who want to immigrate to Canada as a dentist. Are you a dentist currently practicing in your home country and you are interested in immigrating to a new country? Then immigrating to Canada is the right choice for a better future. Canada is in dare need of foreign dentist to help fill up the available job opportunities in the country.
Are you aware that three quarters of Canadians visit the dentist at an average of once per year, in a country where there are nearly 30 million people? In a country with only slightly above 22,000 practicing dentists, this simply means that there is a lot of work available in the field to go around.
Canadians love to retire early, this is because the country is beautiful with warm summers, snowy winters, azure lakes, dark green forests and rivers that cut through the landscapes. Another reason why they can retire early in Canada is because of the governments world renowned free public healthcare system. Although this system doesn’t cover for the dental treatments, more than have of the population does have insurance for dentistry. For the rest, there are more than enough government funded programs to cover their cost.
This year happens to be one of the best years to immigrate to Canada as a dentist and there are ample opportunities for dental jobs in Canada because the immigration and refugee council of Canada are still interested in inviting skilled foreign workers to immigrate to Canada on monthly basis. However, there are still some requirements needed to start practicing in the country.
- You need to get your credentials accessed by a reputable and recognized immigration agency.
- Apply to the dental regulatory authority of the province you are interested in working.
- You will be given the choice of either taking a series of examinations or completing a qualifying degree program at a recognized university in Canada.
- Prepare very hard.
- Start working.
Jobs in Canada for Dentists
Just like we mentioned earlier, there are lots of job opportunities in Canada for those in the dental field. You might be wondering what the pay for an average dentist will be like? Well! This varies depending on the province in Canada, experience level, or whether you chose to work at a rural or urban area. The average salary for a dentist in Canada is $140,000 per year. Bearing it in mind that the living cost will be higher in cities and there will be tougher competitions for positions, leaving you with a higher compensation. If you care about a more relaxed lifestyle then you might consider going for the rural areas where there are small towns which are surrounded by mountains. The chart below shows dentist annual income based on provinces and cities.
|Nova Scotia||$ 165,400+|
What are the Immigration Options for Dentists?
Looking at the Canada immigration programs, there are a few numbers of ways to immigrate to Canada as a dental care expert. You can look into the express entry system which can take up not more than six months to complete. Other methods of immigration will likely consume more time, but if you have all the requirements you shouldn’t have problems getting a permanent resident status in Canada.
The Express Entry System
Its important to note that dentist is classified as a skill type under the national occupational classification. This simply means that dentists are eligible to apply for the federal skilled worker program as a skilled professional. Requirements for this program includes:Advertisements
- One year of skilled experience
- Language proficiency in English or French
- Your qualifications must be equivalent to that in Canada
- You must be eligible to immigrate to Canada.
Provincial Nomination Program (PNP)
The provincial nomination program works closely with that of the express entry program to help supplement the labor requirements for each province in Canada. They also have their immigration streams that is dedicated to more critical shortages within the province. You can get onboard this program in two different ways.
- The first is by creating an expression of interest in a particular province you want to work in. If they deem your skill in line with their demand, you will be offered a provincial nomination which comes with 600 points out of the 1200 points available on your comprehensive ranking system.
- The second method is to create a profile on the provincial government website of the province you wish to live and work in. Then you can submit an expression of interest from there. If your skill is in need there, you will be invited to apply directly to the province and this will stimulate your application for permanent residency.
Atlantic Immigration Pilot
The Atlantic immigration pilot program was designed to help control the labor shortages in the four Atlantic provinces in Canada; New Brunswick, Nova scotia, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland & Labrador.
If you have a low comprehensive system ranking score for the express entry program or you don’t have the patience to wait until you are selected from the pool applicants, the Atlantic immigration pilot program offers permanent resident permit to foreign nationals with a valid job offer under NOC 0, A, B, and C.
Interested in learning more about the Canadian immigration and other interesting news about Canada? Kindly follow us on Facebook and Instagram.